Thursday, February 16, 2017

We Get By With a Little Help From Our Friends

By Raquel "Rocky" Herron, Fitness Manager
You've made it through January!  Even if you don't admit it, there was probably a part of you that resolved to do something better beginning in January and for many of you, that meant health and fitness.  I understand completely.  I always tell myself I will eat less sweets and as I type this I can still taste the dark chocolate I just consumed.  It's heart healthy, right!? 

To help keep you motivated and engaged in your health efforts, I thought I'd touch on group fitness and its benefits.  Here at Pearce, we offer many different group exercise classes, each geared toward helping you reach your desired goal.  The obvious benefit of group exercise is, well...exercise, but it's more than that.  Stay with me and let's talk about the pros of group exercise.

Comradery.  Who doesn't love working out with friends?  Group exercise provides a great place for friends to meet up and get fit together.  When you're exercising in a group you work out at your own pace/intensity, but you experience it together.  A group setting provides a place of encouragement.  I've personally seen people encourage one another on several occasions to include cheering and clapping! Sometimes we don't think we can do something, but if someone else believes we can, we can surprise ourselves.   As an instructor myself, I'm always cheering my class on because I know it's tough sometimes.  Words of encouragement are powerful and are definitely needed during any lunge track!

Another benefit of group exercise is accountability!  If your friends are counting on you to be at BODYPUMP, then there's some pressure to follow through.  Over time this accountability can develop into consistency.  According to the American College of Sports Medicine, group exercise provides a "...consistent schedule."  In other words, Pearce has it mapped out for you!  We provide a consistent schedule that you can count on week after week to make sure you get your workout(s) in.  Over time you'll develop new relationships with others in class and you'll become a "regular."  FYI, if you're not in class, participants and instructors will know, and we'll more than likely check in with you next time we see you! 

And last, but not least, who doesn't love a little friendly competition?  Working out in groups definitely lends to a little competition.  It's important to keep it on the lighter side and have fun with it, but a little competition can help our workouts in more ways than one.  First of all, competition may make you try a little harder and step out of your comfort zone.  I have a particular friend in mind who brings this competition out in me!  Competition can make an average workout turn into a fun game.  It's always important to keep competition in check and try not to overdo it or injure yourself, but it sure is fun to see if you can go a little faster than your friend. 

I hope these tidbits of information regarding group exercise have helped keep the fitness flame alive.  If you're a regular group exerciser, keep it up and set some new goals if needed.  If you're new to group exercise or have never exercised, stop by class a little early and talk with your instructor.  Our instructors are always willing to help out wherever they can.  We're always happy to welcome new people.  We look forward to seeing you in class!  

No comments:

Post a Comment