Saturday, July 15, 2017

Find Another Way

by Gavin Sullivan, Pearce Sports Manager, Personal Trainer and Head Coach of Irish Family

When I was younger I told my mom my dream was to make it to the NBA. She knew my odds were slim to none of that becoming reality. She knew back then that I had a serious addiction to the game of basketball. She might have laughed from time to time at my dream, but she never said stop chasing it.

Needless to say, I didn't become a NBA player, and I found a new path and purpose in the game of basketball in coaching and developing youth basketball players like I do as Sports Manager at Pearce. I also helped create a developmental program, Illinois Irish, that is geared towards college recruitment in central Illinois. It has turned into the biggest program in central Illinois while ranked among the best in the state.

Illinois Irish has produced players at all levels of college basketball. D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO: you name it, we have had players at that level of collegiate basketball. A few years ago we got our first professional player who signed to play in Spain. We now have four other guys that have signed professional deals overseas.

Then June 29 happened: the 2017 NBA Draft. With the 54th pick, the Phoenix Suns selected one of our 2013 alumni Alec Peters. A kid who has been with Illinois Irish since 8th grade. A kid who I still work out with when he is around. A kid who has never wavered in his loyalty to the program. That night being at his Draft Party and seeing him be drafted was such an unreal moment to be a part of. Still in shock, still get chills, and still kind of get choked up about it. I might not have gotten to the NBA as a player myself, but I found another route that gave me my NBA dream.

The only failure in life is when you say "I give up!" Journeys don't all have the same routes. Sometimes it's about creating your own route to get where you want to be. And I can say now my route might not have been what I expected or planned, but its amazing how hard work, dedication, and commitment finds a way.

I love developing players of all ages. As Sports Manager at Pearce, I work with young children to introduce them to the fun of basketball, soccer, and volleyball. We've made a few changes to our leagues recently. We're currently taking registration for fall volleyball, followed by two sessions of basketball. Our soccer program will return in the spring of 2018. These leagues serve as not only a great introduction to the sport, but to the rules and the importance of following them, developing team spirit, learning how to win with pride and lose with grace, and the satisfaction that comes from working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment