Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Let’s….Run A 5K!


With our nineteenth annual Run For The Health of It 5K race just a few weeks away, we are in major “running” mode at PCC! The July 14 event is just around the corner and it has me wondering why on earth someone would subject themselves to this misery?! I have always been a runner, but I have never enjoyed running. There is nothing fun about being outside, in the 100 degree weather, running for 45 minutes. But then again, I have never competed against anyone. Maybe that is the “exciting” element that I am missing out on! Running outside in the middle of summer is completely different then running on the treadmill in the cardio room in the air conditioning. As I continue to ask myself the same questions over and over again, I finally got on the computer and searched “how to run a 5K.”
 
So where do I start? For a newbie roadrunner, training for a shorter distance race like a 5K (3.1 miles) is a manageable goal. But to hit the ground running (literally) I had to form a plan of action. First, I made sure my running shoes were in good shape. While my everyday tennis shoes are great, they definitely aren’t right for distance running. Once my shoes situation was under control, I called a friend and convinced her to train with me. Staying motivated is hard when you are running solo so having a running partners will keep us on track! The next thing I did was sign up for my first 5K. Sure, there are plenty to choose from but when has procrastination worked in my favor?

The next thing I did was check out a few of the FREE apps on my iPhone and found a training program that seemed achievable. For a healthy, injury fee person, four weeks is enough time to get fully prepped for competition. According to the Couch-to-5K Running Plan each session takes about 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week. Follow the recommended training schedule and you should have no problem finishing your first 5K within the next few months!

Interested in more information or signing up for PCC’s Run For The Health of It? Visit www.pearcecc.com or visit www.signmeup.com/83154. We hope to see you at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment