Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Up Side of an Empty Nest

After battling thyroid cancer with radiation eight years ago, Lucy Kirby began experiencing body pain. The radiation was successful but the side effects were awful. Her muscles became dehydrated which led to cramps with excruciating cramping in her feet; dry mouth syndrome, weight gain, and feeling sluggish all of the time. "I never weighed myself, but I just felt too big," said Lucy.

"I joined Pearce a couple of years ago because my mom was a member. The last of my three children moved to Connecticut, and I wanted to start spending more time with her." But what she thought was just a way to see more of her mom became a prescription for a better life.

"I didn't realize how big I was until I started shopping for spandex to wear to class," said Lucy. "I knew I didn't feel good and that I wasn't eating right." Because she no longer needed to cook for her family, she was doing what many people do: grabbing quick fast food, and eating portion sizes that made her feel miserably full.

Lucy started attending Hip Hop group exercise class with her mom. Because the class is so much fun, she didn't really realize she was exercising. But she was, and it started to show. She lost a little weight, began to feel a little more toned, and gained the desire to eat healthier.

Over the course of six months and steady participation in Hip Hop, yoga, walking on the tread mill in the Women Only exercise room, and walking with a friend at work, Lucy lost 20 percent of her body weight. She also changed her diet, eating more fruits and vegetables, drinking tons of water, cutting back on coffee, and eating a smaller dinner earlier in the evening.

Lucy credits Hip Hop instructor James Haywood's motivation as the key to her success. "He makes a point to get in front of every person in class and let you know he's there to help you," says Lucy. "He makes it fun, and he's a wonderful dancer. He's very good at making you smile, laugh, and get into it. I have so much more energy now, even right after class!"

Lucy's advice? "Don't sit down when you get home from work! Change to gym clothes and go directory to Pearce. If you sit down, it's over."

Lucy's job at Caterpillar requires her to present to audiences of various types and sizes. "I used to spend hours trying to decide what to wear to hide my size. I don't have to do that anymore. I feel comfortable and confident, and it show. I've gotten a lot of compliments, not just in the weight loss, but because people sense my increased confidence."

In addition to improved health and feeling great, Lucy got to buy lots of new clothes. "The funnest thing was buying jeans!" says Lucy. "I never used to wear jeans, but now I love them!" With her weight loss, she is buying clothes six sizes smaller. "I'm finally out of plus sizes!" Her pain is significantly decreased, her back is stronger, and she can actually see muscles now.

"Two of my three children live away, so they haven't seen me in person yet," says Lucy. "They'll be home for Christmas, and I can't wait to see their expressions!"

Lucy also has three grandchildren nearby. "We pulled weeds in the garden for two or three hours a couple of weeks ago and played airplane. I could have never done that before."


No comments:

Post a Comment