Saturday, March 12, 2016

Busted!

By Raquel "Rocky" Herron, BS, NASM-CPT
As a trainer, I hear and see many questionable things in the gym.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am not proposing that I know everything, but I do believe I have a strong foundation of knowledge regarding fitness.  

Most of you have probably read an article or two debunking the most popular fitness myths. I think it's important to review these myths from time to time to keep fresh in our minds what's important and what's not regarding fitness and exercise. I understand that the wealth of information available at any given time can often cause confusion and frustration, so I'll try to clear up some of that confusion. As a disclaimer, this advice and all of my advice applies to otherwise healthy individuals who are cleared for exercise. So, let's get started.

Myth #1: Lifting heavy weight will result in overly large muscles in women. 
"I don't want to get bulky."  I can't count how many times I've heard this phrase, and generally, no offense to my ladies, but this phrase is what I typically hear from women. As a side note, if you told me you wanted to put on pounds of muscles, I would probably do cartwheels across the gym! Anyway, forget this idea that women are going to get bulky. We just can't do it. We do not have the same amount of testosterone that men have and thus will not get overly large muscles like men. In fact, putting on muscle is actually quite challenging! Heavy weight lifting is great for women! Think bone density. Lifting heavy weight signals our bones to be stronger, which is important in overall health, so forget pink dumbbells and pick up some iron!

Myth#2:  High reps and low weights are good for toning.  
I have to admit, I cringe every time I hear this. The term "tone" with regard to muscle basically means when the muscle is in a contracted state or state of tension. So I have to assume that what this phrase really means is that you want your muscles to look like they do when they are in a state of tension (highly defined) even when they are relaxed. Higher reps do have a place, but that place is reserved for muscular endurance, not "toning." It's important to understand, and this touches on myth number one, while light weights are not bad, they are not the way to increased strength and muscle growth. We start with light weights, but over time we need to progress to heavier weights to continue to see greater strength and muscle mass. (Remember, muscles burn more calories than fat.)  

Myth #3:  Cardiovascular exercise should always be your number one priority.  It's very true that cardiovascular exercise is important, not only for heart health but for overall fitness. However, I don't want to see anybody handcuffed to the cardio machines. A balanced fitness regimen should include both cardiovascular exercise and strength training. Yes, cardiovascular exercise will help burn calories and thus result in weight loss, but without strength training, you'll miss out on the benefits that weights offer, such as increased metabolism and strength. To change our body composition, we must include strength training, which I'll discuss in myth number four. 

Myth #4:  Muscle weighs more than fat.  
Actually, five pounds of muscle and five pounds of fat both weigh...five pounds. The truth is that five pounds of fat will take up considerably more space than five pounds of muscle.  An example of this can be seen in two people who weigh the same, but have different amounts of muscle. The individual who has more muscle will probably look very different and wear smaller clothes because muscle is denser than fat. The individual carrying more body fat may appear larger because body fat takes up more space. Oftentimes, I see people lose very little weight, but instead lose inches. This tells me that their body composition is changing and they are gaining muscle and losing body fat. A lesson here is that the scale is not a good measure of lean mass vs. fat mass. 

As you can see, there are many myths out there surrounding fitness, and I've highlighted only a few.  Having the proper knowledge is important as you step into the gym everyday because your time is precious and you want to make the most of it and reap the most benefits. It's easy to get wrapped up in the misinformation found on the Internet or from misinformed trainers (none of which you will find here at Pearce!). Separating fact from fiction can often be tedious and frustrating so if you're unsure where to start or if you have a fitness question, even if you think it's silly, please ask a trainer. We'll be happy to help you! Stay strong and fight the good fitness fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment